Friday, May 4, 2012

The "What Are You Up To" Post for Spring 2012 (Part 2)

I can feel the coffee wearing off, so I'd better write quickly...

     I would like to summarize all the stuff happening at Cornerstone this Spring that I'm involved in with this photo that I stole from my friend Annemarie:


      *laugh* You are looking at the new and reworked Underground, now called "Doulos"!  The word doulos is Greek for "slave" or "bond-servant".  It could carry the same meanings that the word "slave" brings to mind for us in English, of human trafficking and social oppression, but in the New Testament is it more used of a person who exists to do the will of his master and so is trusted by the master to care for the things he highly values.  In other words it is a position of surrendering one's own will, but receiving a task that implies great trust in return.  When Pastor Mark came to the young adults in January with his vision for a rebooted group, the number one theme was that we become people who SERVE, and do so in practical, tangible ways. In order to develop that kind of outlook on life, we also need to grow both personally and as a body together more like Christ.  So once a month we have a Doulos social event that allows us to connect to each other.  We also have a service event once a month, either for people in our own church or our community outside the church.  (This picture was taken at the latest event, where a bunch of us went to the Crofton Convalescent Center and redid some container gardens for them.)  And lastly, we have small groups to encourage discipleship and fellowship.

     I am now leading one of those small groups.  We're trying something new with it - a music-focused small group where we both study the Word together and train our musical talents in a group setting so that we can be equipped to then go out and serve with those talents as God asks.  Now I'm certainly no music teacher and I've got a long way to go with the guitar myself.  But I do know enough to kind of coach people thanks to being a worship leader last year, and we all have something to contribute to each others' growth so I think we can make our musical talents sharper.  That being said we are first and foremost still a small group, not a band or a jam session (though both of those things may come out of it). We study the same topics at the other small groups do just as intently and the main point is still to grow up together in Christ. My small groupies are encouraged to either serve musically with me as a worship band for the monthly Prayer Vigil or on their own however God gives them opportunity.  However I really hope that this combination of spiritual training and talent training can work, for the sake of making doulos culture a permanent part of how we all live our lives.

     The other place I'm planted is in the choir, and it has been awesome to be apart of it this past year!  God has really used us to bless a lot of people inside and outside of our church.  One of more exciting things to happen this Spring is that our pastor has gotten engaged! His wedding is in September and (perhaps wisely for his sake, since we'd probably prank the heck out of him) it will be held in a different state.  We've all met his wife-to-be and she's a gem of a lady, so I'm really looking forward to "adopting" her into the choir family. Which she will be, even if she doesn't actually sing in the choir.  Pastor Jason has been changing a lot already just in these past few months and I can't wait to see how much more his gifts and leadership will expand when he finally gets his full-time helpmate. ^_^  'Course growth for him means growth for us! We're already working on new songs that really broaden our skills and range.  Thanks to my membership in the choir, I'm also being dragged by my fellow members into a few new things that I won't spoil for everyone ahead of time.  All I'll say about it is "Prepare to be amused!"

    There are the other things I'm keeping busy with as well, like planting my porch garden for the summer and planning out some of my sewing projects for the summer. I'm determined that I will make to the beach this year and at least one baseball game, more if possible! And I'm working on reading some of the books I've borrowed off of other people so I can give them back sooner than a year from now.  But there you have the major things I'm up to.  And I'm going to go back to having my head in the sand for a bit, as much as I love you all.  Give me a hug if you see me but forgive me if I'm not uber-conversational until I get through May.  And now you know why. ^_^

No comments: